Loosely based on: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/potato-leek-soup.html
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced about 1/4″ thick
- 1 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, roughly peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz. bacon, cooked and chopped into pieces smaller than a bite, larger than bacon bits.
- shredded cheddar cheese.
- chives, thin sliced (optional)
- Melt butter in stock pot
- Sweat leeks and garlic about 10 minutes
- Add potatoes, thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper, broth. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove thyme stems and bay leaf.
- Blend (preferably with stick blender).
- Add sour cream and bacon.
- Serve in bowls topped with chives and cheddar.