- 200g sugar
- a few drops of corn syrup
- 60ml water
- a few drops lemon juice
- 8 large eggs room temperature (20 to 25 °C)
- 130g sugar
- 800ml whole milk
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean or 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the custard:
- Preheat the oven to 300ºF (150ºC).
- Lightly butter a 9-inch loaf pan. Have a baking dish with high sides to make a water bath to bake the custard in.
- To make the caramel, spread the 200g of sugar in an even layer in a skillet. Pour the water over it and add a few drops of lemon juice. Cook the sugar over medium-high heat until it reaches 245°F to 250°F.
- When sugar is a deep amber color, remove from heat; pour the caramel into the buttered mold. Coat evenly. Set aside to cool. It will need to be under 120°F before the custard is added.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar. Add vanilla. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly.
- Pour custard into the pan over the cooled caramel. Place flan in baking dish. Pour warm water into the outer dish, until it reaches over halfway up the outside flan.
- Bake the uncovered flan in the oven 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until barely set.
- Remove from the oven. Rest in the water bath for 30 more minutes.
- Transfer the flan to a cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until completely chilled, preferably overnight.
Leave a Reply