From Everyday Food, Sep ’09
- 2 in piece of ginger thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ pieces.
- salt and pepper
- 1 head cauliflower in florets
- 1/2 pd okra, stemmed and halved length-wise
- 3 cups cooked white rice.
Puree giner and garlic with 1/4 c water until mostly smooth.
In a large sauce pace, heat oil over medium high. Add mustard seed and cumin, cook till fragrant. Add paste, reduce to medium low and cook, stirring, until most of liquid has evaporated, 5-7 min. Add tomatoes and cook until they begin to break down, about 3 min.
Add potatoes and 3 1/2 C water, 1tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Increase heat to high and boil until potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes. Fold in cauliflower and okra, cover and cook until tender, 9-10 min.
Leave a Reply