From Everyday Food, Dec ’09.
- 1 whole chicken (about 3.5-4 pounds)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced small.
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger.
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1c chopped and pitted dates (~4oz)
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro leaves, chopped.
- 2 lemons, halved for serving.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
In a dutch over, heat oil over mid-high. Cook chicken, skin side down, until browned and crisp, about 6 minutes. Move to plate.
Add onions to pot and cook, storring until softened, ~5min. Add ginger, paprika, coriander, cook stirring ~2min. Arrange chicken evenly over onion mixture, add 2.5c water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer, cover and cook until chicken is cook through (40-45min).
Transfer chicken to serving dish and increase heat to high. Boil liquid until reduced by half (12-15min). Stir in dates and cilantro; season. Pour sauce over chicken and serve with lemon halves.