Based loosely on: https://momswithcrockpots.com/slow-cooked-collard-greens/
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 6 slices thick bacon
- 8 c collard greens (tough ribs and stems removed, torn into 2″ strips)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion or 1/4 c onion flakes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Rinse collards, remove thick stems, tear into small strips
- Cook bacon in skillet.
- Place bacon and drippings in crock pot.
- Add rest of ingredients to crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Remove hock, discard bones and other inedible bits. Shred rest and return to crockpot.