Everyday Food, Sep ’09
- 1 3/4 C jasmine rice (or regular)
- 1 can coconut milk (or skip and steam the rice in the rice cooker)
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsl + 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 long hot pepper or red jalapenos chiles, seeded, sliced into 2″ matchsticks
- 1.25 pd ground beef sirloin (or lamb, turkey, pork, or chicken)
- 1 cup loosely packed torn fresh basil leaves
- lime wedges
If using coconut rice: In a med saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 3/4c water and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover. Boil, reduce to simmer and cook until rice is tender and liquid absorbed, about 25 min.
Combine fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and set aside.
Heat skillet or wok over high. Add garlic and half the chiles. Cook stirring constantly. Add meat and break up with wooden spoon until completely browned. Add soy mixture and cook another 30 seconds. Add remaining chiles and soy mixture. Server over rice with lime wedges.