If left for a long cooling, let warm to room temp for 10 minutes.
Serve with chocolate shavings and lightly sweetened whipped cream.
Can be held premade for about a day.
From Cook’s Illustrated, Jan/Feb ’06, modified/annotated
- 8 onces bittersweet chocolate (or dark) chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, preferably dutch processed
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder (I skip this)
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon brandy (I use kirsch)
- 2 large eggs, seperated
- 3 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (I use a pinch)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled heavy cream
Melt chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, water, and brandy in a medium heat proof bowl (I use our smallest metal bowl) set over a saucepan filled with 1″ barely simmering water, stirring frequently until smooth.
In mixer whip heavy cream at med. until it begins to thicken, ~30sec. Increase to high and whip until soft peaks form, ~15sec (took a lot longer for me). Using dspatula, fold whipped cream into mousse until no white streak remain. Spoon into individual serving dishs, then refrigerate till firm, at least 2 hours.
Leave a Reply